Stop the Mind Screw Podcast

3. How to have the true slight and build habits that stick!

November 11, 2021 Kathie Owen
Stop the Mind Screw Podcast
3. How to have the true slight and build habits that stick!
Show Notes
"The only person you are destined to become is the one you decide to be." Ralph Waldo Emerson

About this episode: Visit

Most people build habits backward. It is human nature. But in today's episode, we talk about how true success is won and how to have the true slight edge. Like Jeff Olso talks about in the book The Slight Edge.

In this episode here's what we'll cover:

  • 3 lines failure, survival, success - when down we curve between survival and failure.
  • Your philosophy creates your attitude, your actions, your results, your life.
  • Do the thing and you shall have the power - Emerson quote
  • 2 types of attitudes are entitled or value-driven.
  • Shawshank Redemption quote“I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. You get busy living or you get busy dying.”
  • Master the art of the mundane
  • Stop taking what you think is the path of least resistance
  • Real success is built by the time you get the feedback and the real work is already done
  • Choices that seem insignificant. So I skipped a day at the gym, what's the big deal? A cheeseburger? What's the fuss?
  • Only 5% achieve the level of success they want and feel fulfilled. The other 95% don't do the easy things.
  • Diet culture says they lack willpower, it is that they lack "won't" power.
  • Slow down to go fast, quit the resisting force.
  • The secret of time consistently repeated daily actions plus time equals unconquerable results
  • The challenge is that making the right choices is not dramatic and there is no immediate feedback.
  • Life is not a clickable link
  • Successful people do whatever it takes whether or not they feel like it.
  • No genuine success in life is instant.
  • Don't become hypnotized by the big break
  • Winning is always a matter of a slight edge! 

Use of words Here's a link to that video!

Happy Habits

  1. Each morning write down 3 things you are grateful for.
  2. Journal 2 minutes a day on a positive experience.
  3. Meditate
  4. Random act of kindness daily.
  5. Exercise for 15 minutes a day.
  6. Read 10 pages a day of a good book.
  • The ripple effect
  • Responsibility You have to start somewhere. 
  • If you just add 1% to anything - skill, knowledge, effort - per day, in a year it will have more than tripled. But you have to start with 1%
  • Greatness is always in the moment of decision.

Subscribe & Review in iTunes

Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!

Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!


Links mentioned in this episode: